Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

having fun and being popular

Why do you blog?

Is it to have fun? To show funny pictures that you took of your siblings? To be an encouragement to some one? To have hundreds of followers? Because one of our friends wanted us to have one? To be popular?
What is the real reason why we blog?


Why do we go to all of the trouble of posting these short or long posts on our blog?
Some of us (actually ALL of us) always want people to comment on our posts.
But why?
So we can confirm that some one at least reads our posts? Because its fun to see what people think of our posts? So we know that some one enjoys our writings? Or to see how 'popular' we are?

I used to always think that.
I don't have a lot of people following me. And i hardly get a comment. (except for my dear friend, Hannah Ours.)
But once in a while i'd get an e-mail saying how much some one loved my post about something or that a picture i posted was funny. That was an encouragement for me. At least SOME ONE was reading my blog. Right?

But then the 'hardly any commenters' began nagging at me.
But then I asked myself, "why do i blog? Why do i go to all of the effort of posting posts? WHY?" And I realized., that yes i did it to have fun. But I wasn't having fun. :(
I wanted to be popular. I wanted hundreds of people following me. I wanted TONS of comments.

But that's not what blogging should be about.

Blogging should be about people having fun NO MATTER how many comments you get and no matter how many followers you get.

Even if you are just blogging to write encouraging posts, shouldn't that be fun to?
Being an encouragement to some one is awesome.
But would you rather be an encouragement to ONE person, then have a hundred people post on your blog saying how great the post was, but for them not to really be encouraged by it?

So after confessing to myself that 'yes' i wanted to be 'popular' i knew that it needed to be fixed.

Because if it wasn't then blogging wouldn't be fun anymore for me. :(
And I wanted blogging to be fun! :D Doesn't everybody? Even if its just a 'quick' update on your life. :P

So what did i do?
I took a short break from MY blogging (actually i took a couple of short breaks) and read other peoples blogs. (And I made sure to comment. ;)..)
Then after my short break was done I started posting again. But i tried looking at the posts I was doing from a different point of view. I tried looking at posting as something FUN!! Not to see how many comments i would get.

Now for some of us I know that's hard to push a side. Not being popular and having comments and trying to have fun.
But what I do sometimes is I just post the post and I leave it. I'll subscribe to myself so if some one comments i'll know. But I don't fret and hope about it all night. And I don't check my blog like 5 times a day to see if some one has voted on a poll of mine, or if some one has left a comment on a post i did. :P
Now, some people don't have time to comment. I mean like for you and me we might post a comment like, "hey, I LOVED this post! I like how you posted this and that picture." Whereas for some people they like to do a few lines for a comment. But for us bloggers we always like to see what people think of our posts, right? So what I did was I set up, 'reactions'. What's reactions?
Well, reactions are just what they sound like. They are these little boxes at the end of your post that people click on to tell you what they're 'reaction' was to your post. For instance my three reactions are, 'funny', 'cute' and 'cool'.
So if some one thought my post I did of some pictures were funny then they'd click the box that said funny. :D

Now, I may have lost you in the middle of this post of what i'm talking about here. So bottom line here, is that don't worry about how many comments you get and how many followers are following you. Because if you do that then blogging wont be fun anymore. :(
Yes, we ALL love followers and comments and all. But we shouldn't worry about it. :D Just have FUN!!

Here's the definition of the word fun:
Informal . of or pertaining to fun, a fun thing to do; really a fun person.

So the next time you post on your blog and you think that no one well comment just remember that its okay! Just have FUN!!
I hope that this post has being an encouragement for some of you guys. :)

Have fun blogging!! :D

~C

2 comments:

  1. This was encouraging, Chavonne! I've recently gone through all this. I used to have TONS of people commenting, then we moved...and I was getting like one or two comments. It was kinda discouraging, to say the least. But you're right. Blogging isn't about all the comments! Even if they can be encouraging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Chevy!! I know what you mean. I don't understand why I only have 37 followers but whatever. I'm trying to just blog so that when I'm older I can look back at what my life and my photography was like. But it IS nice to have followers and get encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys!
Thanks for leaving a comment. :)
If you leave a comment with a question you'll probably want to click my, "subscribe button" so when I reply you'll get notified. :)
Even if its not a question i'll more then likely reply to your comment! :)
Thanks!
~C